How To Craft A Birthday Card (For Kids)
If someone you care about has a birthday coming up, now is a great time to make them a custom birthday card. With this project, you'll design a beautiful, heart-shaped flower with all of your happy wishes contained inside.
- 1 14 × 14 cm piece colored construction paper
- 1 12 x 12 cm Piece colored construction paper
- 1 2.5 x 30 cm piece colored construction paper
- 1 6 x 6 cm piece construction paper
- 1 Scissors
- 1 Glue
- 1 Black and pink markers or pens
- First, get out the largest piece of colored construction paper. We used purple in this example.
- Next, fold the 14 x 14 cm paper in half lengthwise.
- Fold the paper in half again widthwise. This should create a square.
- Unfold the paper. Fold it again into halves and make a triangle shape.
- Open the paper back up, and now fold it into a triangle in the other direction. At the end, there should be four lines running across the paper from side to side, top to bottom, and diagonal in both directions.
- Fold the paper back into a large triangle and fold it in half again to make a smaller triangle.
- Draw half of a heart starting on one side of the triangle by making a "U" shape that touches all three angles.
- Cut out the shape along the line.
- Set aside the heart and get out the 12×12 cm piece of colored paper.
- Follow the same steps (1-8) to create the same heart-shaped cutout.
- Unfold both pieces of paper. Place the smaller flower onto the larger flower. Use glue to adhere them both together.
- Set aside the flower to dry.
- Next, take out a piece of 2.5 x30 cm paper.
- Roll it up into a straw shape using glue to hold it together.
- Allow the new straw to dry.
- Now, use a thin piece of colored paper and glue to add a stripe to the straw. Roll the paper against the straw to get a striped pattern. Use a little glue on each end to secure the stripe.
- Cut off the ends of the straw where no stripes are present, if any.
- Use a 6 x 6 cm square piece of paper next. Fold it in half, and draw a half heart on the fold. Cut it out on the line.
- Use glue to attach the 6 x 6 cm heart to the folded flower.
- Draw a face on the new heart using markers.
- Open up the folded flower and write a birthday note inside.
- Refold the flower. Now, you'll attach it to the straw on one side with glue.
- Using two colors of left-over paper, create a striped rectangle by cutting out strips and gluing them together.
- From the striped paper, cut out a triangle to make a birthday hat.
- Paste the birthday hat to the top of the heart's face and head.
- Fold a small piece of leftover paper in half and cut out a heart to make a bow. Add it below the heart's face, where the neck would be, to finish the project.
This is a very easy craft that anyone can do! The total time varies depending on age and skill. Make sure to do the craft ahead of time to make sure it’ll be ready on time!
Download for free our fun word search puzzles here.
Download or print our fun maze puzzles here.