Welcome to our collection of free VOLCANO coloring pages. Click the Volcano pictures or illustrations you like and you’ll be taken to the PDF download and/or print page. Every Volcano coloring page is a printable PDF and/or can be downloaded.
More Nature coloring collections: Beach Coloring Pages | Flower Coloring Pages | Succulent Coloring Pages | Sushi Coloring Pages | Tree House Coloring Pages | Moon Coloring Pages | Bunny Coloring Pages | Fox Coloring Pages
Fun Facts About Volcanoes for Clever Kids
Ever seen a volcanic eruption? Talk of intense heat and boiling liquid! So, let’s dive into volcanoes.
- A volcano is an opening on the Earth’s surface.
- A volcano spews out lava, gas, and ash when it explodes.
- The eruption creates a massive hole at the top called a crater.
- Where do you think the word volcano comes from? It’s named after the Roman God of fire known as Vulcan.
- Volcanoes are bad guys. They can relax for many years as dormant (inactive). But they can become active and cause a lot of damage. Or they can also disappear-become extinct.
- Scientists tell us that active volcanoes bursts now and then.
- This activity could be anything from released gases or even earthquakes around it.
- A dormant volcano is asleep and doesn’t erupt frequently. However, you can’t trust it because it can surprise you by exploding at any time.
- An extinct volcano hasn’t erupted for thousands of years. It’s not likely to explode. But can you trust nature? I think the chances of extinct volcanoes erupting are there. What do you think?
- Magma is a scalding liquid that volcanoes store underground.
- Magma is a rock that turns into a liquid.
- The boiling liquid is a bright yellow glow that stays in a chamber inside the volcano.
- The magma rises to the top of a volcano during an explosion.
- But magma flows down the volcano’s slope as lava.
- The lava becomes a rock after it has cooled down.
- That’s right. Lava is scorching! How hot is lava? Incredibly hot. Temperatures can reach over 1,250° Celsius/ 2000 Fahrenheit. If any living thing drops into the lava, it dies instantly.
- This makes volcanoes very dangerous, so they should be avoided. Volcanoes are extremely dangerous. Thousands of years ago, in the Roman City of Pompeii, a volcanic eruption buried the whole city alive. You can Google the photos. But you must be strong to look at the images.
- If you want to visit a volcanic site, you need to learn more about it because there are some risks.
- Do you know where the largest volcano occurs? Mars.
- It’s known as Olympus Mons.
- About 1500 volcanoes are active.
- Countries with coastlines in the Pacific Ocean have the most volcanoes
- What’s the largest volcano on our planet? Mauna Loa in Hawaii.
- Mauna Loa is 4,169 meters above sea level but 5,000 meters under the sea.
- The volcano is taller than Mt. Everest.
- It has exploded 33 times since 1843.
- Ever heard of tectonic plates? They cause volcanoes when they meet.
- So, what are they? Plates covering our planet.
- Tectonic plates sit underground.
- They move so slowly that you can’t feel them. However, when they get over-excited, they move fast and suddenly. And that’s why we’ve got earthquakes. Bad guys, right?
- Our beautiful ocean has over 80 volcanoes.
- A volcano needs a crack or a fault line on Earth’s surface to erupt.
- How many types of volcanoes do you know? The biggest ones are called Shield, followed by Strato and Dome.
- The Ring of Fire around the Pacific Ocean has the most volcanoes on our planet.
Free Printable Volcano Coloring Pages
Here’s to more fun-packed activities! The free printable volcano coloring pages are perfect for kids of all ages. Children need pens, colored pencils, and markers to create brilliant illustrations.
Adults can use the volcano coloring pages to teach their kids about volcanoes, lava, magma, the Earth’s surface, chemical reaction, minerals, carbon dioxide, the Pacific Ocean, and more. Children will also discover tsunami regions on Earth. It’s a great way to reinforce kids’ knowledge about volcanoes.