Welcome to our collection of free HOCKEY coloring pages. Click the Hockey pictures or illustrations you like and you’ll be taken to the PDF download and/or print page. Every Hockey coloring page is a printable PDF and/or can be downloaded.
Fun Facts About Hockey for Cool Kids!
What is your favorite sport? If it’s hockey, welcome to the fascinating facts about the game.
- Hockey players use a stick to hit an object into the other team’s goal. The more scores they make, the more points they get.
- Hockey could have come from hoquet, which is a French word. It means shepherd’s stick.
- A man called James Crighton learned to play hockey in Nova Scotia. He was an engineer there. Later, he showed his friends how to play the sport at McGill University in Montreal. Many people believe that Crighton introduced hockey to Canada.
- You can play hockey in three ways.
- Field hockey involves playing a ball on grass or artificial grass (AstroTurf). Each field hockey team has eleven players. You can play the sport outdoors, but there are indoor games. The Summer Olympic Games also include hockey.
- You can play hockey on ice (ice hockey). But you must wear ice skates and hit a tiny rubber disc into the other players’ goal to get points. The disc is called a hockey puck. Each team has six players. Ice hockey can be indoors or outdoors. Or players can use arenas. The Winter Olympic Games also involve ice hockey.
- Some people say British soldiers based in Canada started the game around 1850. McGill University in Montreal, Canada, helped perfect the game by setting up rules. By the end of 1800, there were many clubs playing hockey. But the first ice hockey game was played in the U.S in 1893.
- Roller hockey has 10 players, five on each team. They play on a roller hockey rink indoors and must wear roller skates. Each player scores more points by hitting a hockey puck into the other player’s goal. Players mustn’t contact each other as they play.
- The National Hockey League began in 1917.
- The league has five teams. They include the Quebec Bulldogs, Montreal Wanderers, Montreal Canadians, Toronto Arenas, and Ottawa Senators. Toronto Arenas use artificial ice to play the sport.
- The first woman to play in the NHL was Manon Rheaume. She was the Tampa Bay Lightning’s goalie in 1992.
- The Stanley Cup has been the most famous competition since 1893.
- The cup is named after Lord Stanley of Preston, who donated it in 1893. He is the former Governor-General of Canada.
- At first, the Stanley Cup was as tall as seven inches, but it’s over 35 inches now.
- The Montreal Canadiens have won the most Stanley Cups.
- The Stanly Cup is a yearly competition. It was only in 1919 that the tournament didn’t take place because of the Spanish flu. The match wasn’t held in 2005 due to a strike.
- The cup got lost in 2010 on a flight to Vancouver from New Jersey. But an individual working for Air Canada found the trophy.
- The Stanley Cup has the names of 12 women written on it. One of them is Marguerite Norriss, Detroit Red Wings’ president from 1954-55.
- The original six involve the most well-known hockey teams. They’re the Chicago Blackhawks, New York Rangers, Detroit Red Wings, Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadians, and Toronto Maple Leafs. The NHL now has 30 teams playing hockey.
Free Printable Hockey Coloring Pages
Now that you understand hockey, you can enjoy working on a vast collection of free printable hockey coloring pages. The coloring pages are ideal for kindergarten and preschool kids. Adults can use the coloring sheets to improve color recognition and encourage creativity in their children.
Each hockey player coloring page is a fun way of teaching art. Kids from different backgrounds can share ideas on coloring each illustration. Friends can talk about their favorite players when shading the hockey coloring pages. As a result, conversations can promote social cohesion.
It’s also possible to produce a book for kids with brilliant pictures after coloring all the worksheets.