Watermelon is a favorite fruit for many people and it is especially refreshing to eat in the warm summer months. Paper fans can also be refreshing during hotter weather since you can use them to cool yourself down with while battling the heat. We have combined the love of watermelons with the usefulness of paper fans with this do-it-yourself project that is fun to embark on with your children.
These watermelon fans are pretty inexpensive to create and are a pretty easy project for the whole family or, if you are a teacher, for your entire class to create. While we suggest colors of paper you can use for each part of your paper fan shaped like a watermelon, you can use different colors of your choice. You can even create your watermelon fan out of plain paper then decorate it by using paint, markers, colored pencils, crayons, or even ink pens, glitter, and other decorations to bling it out. You can even create this fan using red, white, and blue colors for the Fourth of July if you so choose to go that route with your project.
Crafting A Paper Fan Shaped Like A Watermelon
- 1 Sheet One sheet of bright green dark green paper and one light green paper, both A4 in size.
- 1 Pencil
- 1 Marker Black
- 1 Pair Scissors
- 1 Full Sheet Construction Paper Red
- 1 Stick Glue
- 1 Ruler(six-inch or 12-inch with centimeters)
- 4 Craft sticks popsicle sticks, or Lollie sticks
- 1 Piece Yarn or string
- 1 Clear tape
- 1 Pen Optional
- Cut two quarter wide and 20 centimeters long (about seven inches) strips of paper from the light and darker green paper. You can use a ruler to measure the strips and put the paper on top of each other so you only have to do this step one time.
- Glue the four strips of green paper onto the red sheet of paper.
- Put a dark and a light green on each side of the red paper.
- Use your black marker to make dots above the green strips on each side of the paper as shown above to make the seeds of your watermelon.
- Now you can fold your paper in half, then in half again. Continue this until it cannot be folded in half again
- Repeat the above steps with your second sheet of red paper, using the four strips of green paper you have left.
- Fold both papers backward, just as you did in step five, creating an accordion with both sheets.
- Glue the two sheets together as shown in the photo above.
- Push them together for a minute or two to make sure they stick together properly.
- Now fold the paper together in a U-shape and have your small piece of yarn or string ready to go.
- Wrap your yarn around the center of the U-shape once or twice then tie it together.You can cut off the excess yarn with your scissors.
- Glue each side of the U-shape of your paper together as shown above.
- Hold the sides together for a minute to ensure they are securely fastened to each other.
- Puta line of glue on each of the outside areas of your paper and have your popsicle or craft sticks ready and waiting close by to you.
- Place the sticks on each side and secure to the glue.
- Cut another strip of darker green or light green paper, the same size as in the initial steps. You can then put glue on the bottom half of the strip of paper.
- Fold the paper in half and glue it. Now put the two ends of the paper together to form a circle and glue the ends together.
- You can now use the circular band you made to hold your fan closed when you are not using it. Simply remove the ban when you want to open and use your paper watermelon fan.
- Take the circular ban off to open up your fan and admire your amazing artwork. You are now the proud owner of a paper watermelon fan that you can use and show off to all of your friends and family members